The Women’s Asia Cup cricket tournament has grown over the years. It used to be a small competition between two teams, but now it includes seven nations, showing its popularity around the world.
The 8th edition of this tournament was hosted in Sylhet, Bangladesh, and it ended on October 15. Hence, there are many winners in the list of women’s Asia Cup winners list.
In the past, the Indian women’s cricket team, known as the Women in Blue, has been very successful in this tournament, winning it eight times.
Mithali Raj, a former Indian team captain, has scored the most runs in the tournament’s history, with a total of 1127 runs. Shashikala Siriwardene has taken the most wickets in the tournament, with 33 wickets.
In the most recent tournament, India once again showed their dominance by defeating Sri Lanka in the finals with a convincing eight-wicket victory.
Renuka Singh Thakur impressed with her three wickets in that match, and Deepti Sharma was named the Player of the Tournament for her outstanding all-around performances.
Here in the article, we will explore the women’s Asia Cup winners list.
Women’s Asia Cup Winners List:
Women’s Asia Cup Winners List: Captain, Player of the Match, and Player of the Series:
|Player Of The Match
|Player Of The Series
Women’s Asia Cup winners list: Details
2004: The First Women’s Asia Cup
– The inaugural Women’s Asia Cup took place in Sri Lanka in April 2004.
– Only two teams, India and Sri Lanka, participated.
– They played a series of five One-Day International (ODI) matches against each other.
– India won all five matches and became the first Women’s Asia Cup champion in the list of women’s Asia Cup winners list.
2005-2006: The Second Edition in Pakistan
– The second Women’s Asia Cup was hosted in Karachi, Pakistan, between December 2005 and January 2006.
– Pakistan made their debut in the tournament.
– India emerged victorious again, defeating Sri Lanka by 97 runs in the final. Marking their place once again in the women’s Asia Cup winners list.
2006: The Third Tournament in India
– The third Women’s Asia Cup was held in Jaipur, India, in December 2006.
– The tournament followed a similar pattern as the previous one, with India defeating Sri Lanka in the final, this time by eight wickets.
2008: Another Win in Sri Lanka
– The fourth Women’s Asia Cup took place in Sri Lanka in May 2008.
– India secured another tournament victory, beating Sri Lanka by 177 runs in the final.
2012: Transition to Twenty20 Cricket
– The fifth Women’s Asia Cup transitioned to Twenty20 cricket and was held in Guangzhou, China, from October 24 to 31, 2012.
– India defeated Pakistan by 19 runs in the final.
2016: Thailand Hosts the Sixth Edition
– The sixth Women’s Asia Cup was hosted in Thailand from November 27 to December 4, 2016.
– India won once again, defeating Pakistan by 17 runs in the final and securing their sixth consecutive championship.
2018: Bangladesh’s First Victory
– The seventh Women’s Asia Cup was played in Malaysia from June 3 to 10, 2018.
– Bangladesh achieved their first Asia Cup title by defeating six-time champions India by 3 wickets in the final.
2022: Delayed Due to COVID-19
– Originally scheduled for 2020 in Bangladesh, the tournament was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
– It eventually took place in Sylhet, Bangladesh, in October 2022.
– India claimed their seventh Women’s Asia Cup by beating Sri Lanka in the final, winning by eight wickets while chasing a total of 65 runs.
– Jemimah Rodrigues was the highest run-scorer of this tournament.
Most Wins of the team in the Women’s Asia Cup Winner List:
The Women’s Asia Cup, a prestigious cricket competition that highlights the skills and abilities of female cricketers in Asia, has a rich history filled with exciting performances and unforgettable victories.
When it comes to the team with the most wins in the tournament, the Indian Women’s Cricket Team has consistently been the standout performer. Hence, they have the maximum number of winners in the list of women’s Asia Cup winners list.
|Women’s Asia Cup Team
|Won Women’s Asia Cup Trophy
|Women’s Asia Cup Winner list (year)
|2004, 2005-06, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2022
More about the Women’s Asia Cup winners list:
This edition of the Women’s Asia Cup included teams from Thailand, UAE, and Malaysia, in addition to the traditional Asian groups.
Notably, the Thai team reached the semi-finals for the first time, showing their significant improvement in the sport.
The Women’s Asia Cup began in 2004, and India Women’s won the first six seasons. However, Bangladesh women won the 2018 edition, ending India’s winning streak.
The tournament was temporarily dismissed due to the global pandemic but was scheduled to be played in 2022. Moreover, Indian women emerged as champions for the 7th time in the prestigious Women’s Asia Cup 2022 tournament.
The Women’s Asia Cup is a major tournament among Asian countries and is the only continental championship in women’s cricket, second only to the World Cup.
There have been eight editions of the Women’s Asia Cup, with the first four played in the 50-over format and the next four in the T20 format.
In the inaugural edition in 2004, India and Sri Lanka played a 5-match series to determine the Asian champions.
Pakistan joined them in the second edition in 2005-06, making it a three-team tournament, which used a double round-robin format to decide the finalists.
The 2006 edition followed a similar format with three teams, and in 2008, Bangladesh joined, making it even more prominent with the addition of four more teams.
In the following three editions, the tournament was contested by six teams. In total, nine teams have participated in the Women’s Asia Cup, but in the early years, there were only two or three teams involved.
India has been the most dominant team, winning the title seven times and finishing as runners-up once. Bangladesh is the second-best team, having won the Women’s Asia Cup once, while Sri Lanka and Pakistan have been runners-up five and two times, respectively.
Also, check out Top 10 Most Popular Sports in Asia